Serving our business partners through promotion, advocacy, encouragement and education
To be recognized as the community’s business membership organization that nurtures growth opportunities, expansion and financial success
Business Entrepreneurship and Development: Growing leadership talent through succession planning and mentoring; working directly with business leaders and economic development teams to foster business opportunities
Marketing: Strengthening local brand through use of assorted promotional and advertisement materials, use of news and radio mediums, soliciting input via direct mail, and fostering direct communication via use of newsletters and website
Value-added Services: Leveraging strength and economies of scale in order to offer cost effective services including but not limited to, Chamber Blue/O-EPIC Insurance, bulk mail permit usage, job listings, first referrals as well as brochure and business card display
Education: Developing business acumen through the provision of educational series on marketing and business planning, loans, taxes etc., and partnering with technology centers, local schools, colleges and universities for customized business education and training
Collaboration: Fostering partnerships through focus groups, social and networking events, communication among members; by working together with the City of McAlester, Industry Leaders, Economic Development Organizations and Philanthropic Organizations
About the Chamber
As the leading business organization in McAlester for over 100 years, The Chamber exists to serve the community and local businesses and ensure that the economic base remains strong.
When citizens and visitors are seeking information and don’t know who to ask The Chamber stands as the information center for McAlester.
Membership in The Chamber is an investment in McAlester and surrounding communities. With nearly 500 members, The Chamber’s voice for business is loud and strong. The following page lists some of the returns of membership investment.
McAlester is truly one of the greatest places to live and work in the world today and it is up to us to ensure that it remains that way for our children and those who follow. Our history is rich and so is our future.
The Chamber –
- works with city, county and other officials to create a business-friendly environment;
- addresses current and future concerns of business as they relate to economic development and retention;
- develops programs to enhance economic growth and retail development within the community;
- addresses issues that could hinder the growth of the community such as housing, infrastructure and employment;
- identifies and develops potential community leaders through the Tri-County Leadership Program;
- welcomes visitors and potential newcomers to the area through a relocation packet and a wealth of additional information available at McAlester’s Information Center located at the McAlester Chamber headquarters;
- provides programs to the business community to keep them informed on current labor and safety issues, updated employment precedents, and workforce education.
- works with McAlester Public Schools on the Oklahoma Scholars Program that further prepares students to exceed beyond high school; whether they are college bound, vocational school bound, or proceeding directly into the workforce;
- provides Ambassadors to welcome new businesses with ribbon-cuttings, goodwill visits, and other business celebrations;
- coordinates volunteer efforts of members and the public, working through 14 Chamber committees;
- responds to information requests from outside the community;
- sponsors the largest tourism event of the year – The Oklahoma State Prison Rodeo;
- gives members a chance to connect with other business leaders in the community through breakfast seminars, education seminars, legislative breakfasts, and mixers;
- publishes a monthly news tab, Chamber Matters, distributed to over 10,500 people through the McAlester News Capital;
- partners with the Oklahoma Small Business Development Center to provide a small business advisor to help people navigate through the process of starting a new business;
- refers only businesses that are members of The Chamber to the thousands of inquiries received each year;
- supplies support for business expansions and recruitment
- represents members’ interests on education, transportation, and legislative issues;
- maintains directories of clubs, organizations, manufacturers, and VIPs;
- furthers name recognition of members by providing listings in the membership directory, Chamber website, Chamber Matters newsletter, and Information Center display area; and
- sponsors a variety of special events throughout the year that nurture spirit and pride in our community.
McAlester Chamber President/CEO – Jeff Warmuth
Get Involved – Committees
Volunteer – Support a Committee By Joining
Membership/Ambassadors Committee – The welcoming arm of the Chamber. Focus on recruitment of new members, and existing membership development/retention. Welcomes new members, and keeps existing members in touch by helping them acclimate to the programs and events of the McAlester Chamber.
Armed Forces Day Committee – Assist in the planning of our annual luncheon and parade to honor our past and present men and women serving our country.
Annual Chamber Banquet Committee – The Chamber’s largest networking of the year! Meet new members, network with others, and honor local businesses who’s contributions have made huge impacts in our community.
Leadership McAlester Committee – This committee will work together to research and potentially develop a Leadership McAlester program for the upcoming 2013 year.
Chamber Events Committee – Work with other committee members to help organize and facilitate community festivals/events and to enhance our community spirit by involving as many volunteers as possible while creating a positive economic impact for our business community.
McAlester’s Promise Scholarship Committee – Review qualifications, candidates and select annual scholarship recipients.
Editorial Committee – Develop and distribute quality and informative digital and hardcopy publication pieces through the McAlester Chamber.
McAlester Young Professionals – To attract and develop young leaders; and develop outstanding leaders for McAlester’s tomorrow.
Board of Directors – To govern and set policy for the McAlester Chamber, to make decisions representing the membership and provide direction support, to oversee the management and planning, and secure necessary resources. (Serve by Nomination and appointment.)
Executive Committee – Shall act for and on behalf of the Board of Directors when the Board is not in session and shall be held accountable to the Board of Directors. (Serve by Nomination and appointment.)
Get Involved – Sponsorships
Sunbelt Baseball Tournament – International Event – 10 teams from across the Nation and Canada
Armed Forces Day Parade and Luncheon – Honor our past and present service men and women
Education Seminars – To bring leading business tactics and information to our members
McAlester’s Promise – To challenge our student population to participate in more challenging courses and better prepare them for college, trade school, and the work force
Membership Luncheon – Held once a year to offer new and innovative business information to our members and inform them of the Chamber’s purpose and intended path for the year
Annual Chamber Banquet – Held once a year to honor our local businesses, encourage networking amongst current members, and showcase our new members for the year
Get Involved – Additional Advertising Opportunities
City of McAlester/Pittsburg County Map
Membership Directory Ads
Relocation/Tourism Packet Ads
Get Involved – Communication Services
It is a goal of the McAlester Area Chamber of Commerce to communicate effectively and efficiently with our membership.
Members can advertise their business weekly for FREE!
A monthly newsletter highlighting special business information, member businesses, special interests, events, and much more.
The McAlester Chamber of Commerce strives to provide opportunities for quality interactions between business members. All of our networking activities are open to all member businesses and their employees.